The Big Bear Valley is one of only a few populated areas in the country situated in the middle of a national forest. The San Bernardino National Forest not only provides a beautiful alpine environment full of wildlife, it’s also a base camp for endless mountain adventures. Whether you hike, mountain bike, camp, rock climb, or just love off-road driving, the adventure begins here.
The best source of adventure information is the Big Bear Lake Discovery Center, located on the north shore of the lake. This beautiful facility is co-managed by the non-profit San Bernardino National Forest Association and local volunteers.
Discovery Center services include;
• Forest Adventure Passes
• Hiking and Biking Maps
• Camping Information
• Maps of Forest Roads and Off-Highway Vehicle Adventures
• Forest Service Permits
• Naturalist-led Tours and Interpretive Programs for all ages
• Environmental Education ~ School and Scout groups
• Adventure Outpost ~ nature-themed gift store and food bar
• An amphitheater for outdoor programs
Before you go out into the back country make sure you have plenty of water and your cell phone. Pick up an Adventure Pass for either the day, or an entire year, and head outdoors.
More National Forests;
- Obituary for the Tallest Saguaro | wickenburg-az.com – Posted by Lee Pearson on December 31st, 2007. The Tallest Saguaro is now only a footnote in history. Art Dorner of Sun City AZ reported, “I’m sorry to say that the tall saguaro cactus fell over on or about December 6, 2007. It was a beauty and …
- The Climbing Club • View topic – Trip Planning Tools – … options remain closed. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest: http://www.fs.fed.us/
- Hiking in the Coconino National Forest in Sedona – A hike in Oak Creek Canyon of Coconino National Forest in Sedona Arizona.