We’ve enjoyed a summer with plenty of monsoonal rain. Fall temperatures are here, along with a couple inches of snow last night. If you take a drive around Big Bear, you’ll find trees heavily laden with apples and pears. This is a great time of year to plant apple trees and berry bushes. Besides providing a delightful harvest, improving your landscaping is an easy way to increase property value and boost curb appeal.
A study done by Virginia Tech in 2007 showed that good landscaping can improve a home’s resale value from 5 percent to over 12 percent of your home’s value. It’s also the only investment that increases in value with maturity.
- How much time do you expect to be in your home?
- If you intend to move in the next year, there are still a few quick tips:
- Consider adding fertilizer treatments to the lawn to improve it’s look.
- Cut new edges around your beds and add mulch.
- You can add splashes of color with flowers.
- For a minimum investment, you can also add a few mature shrubs.
For those planning on staying in their homes for awhile, the best tip we have is to make a plan. The American Society of Landscape Architects recommend an investment of 10% of your home’s value.
Bob Villa suggests a plan. He says, “Everything doesn’t need to happen at once. Consider a five year plan that has plantings maturing at varying rates.”
Although there are costly trends for outdoor family rooms and kitchens, there are a lot of improvements that don’t cost a lot:
- Adding lighting can help create an atmosphere. Solar lights have become inexpensive.
- If you have children, get an outdoor shed to house their toys.
- Structural features such as fences and bridges will add depth and dimension to your yard.
- Define your spaces. Use lighting, some lawn furniture and fencing to define the backyard space.
- A trellis with flowering vines can add a dramatic accent to your yard.
There is no doubt good landscaping adds value to your home. A well landscaped yard can also offer a rarer commodity, beauty and peace of mind.
For more local information about Big Bear Lake and the surrounding areas, please read our blog. Also, feel free to give our office a call with any questions you may have.
More Big Bear Real Estate;
5 Tips to Increase Real Estate Values in Big Bear – Here are a few projects that can add resale value to your Big Bear home. Energy efficient green-technology projects will benefit your lifestyle, save you money, and increase your home’s overall value.
Home improvements for Resale – Even though market conditions are beyond your means to control, upgrading your property can be a simple way to increase the value of your home. Some home improvements increase your home’s value beyond the initial cost.